Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Teen Fiction Tuesday: The Body Finder

The Body Finder, by Kimberly Derting

Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 327
Reading Level: 14 and Up
Enjoyment Level: High

I actually didn’t plan on reading this book. However, the author showed up at an event held in Houston, and I ended up being intrigued by her answers during the Q&A part of the event. Her book was so new that she had the shortest line when the authors were signing, and I hurried down to purchase a copy of the book. After talking to her, and hearing that she’d be more than willing to do an interview for the blog, I decided to get another copy as a giveaway. So it’s time now for the review portion, and stay tuned tomorrow for the interview and the contest.

From Amazon:

Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her "power" to sense dead bodies—or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes the dead leave behind in the world and the imprints that attach to their killers.

Violet has never considered her strange talent to be a gift; it mostly just led her to find dead birds her cat left for her. But now that a serial killer is terrorizing her small town, and the echoes of the local girls he's claimed haunt her daily, Violet realizes she might be the only person who can stop him.

Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agrees to help Violet find the murderer—and Violet is unnerved by her hope that Jay's intentions are much more than friendly. But even as she's falling intensely in love, Violet is getting closer and closer to discovering a killer . . . and becoming his prey herself.

I’m so happy that I decided to take the plunge that night and buy this book for myself. I really enjoyed seeing the story and characters play out along with the mystery of the serial killer. I was sucked in, blissfully, and sufficiently creeped out by the bits from the serial killer’s point of view.

I loved the interesting paranormal aspect of The Body Finder. Although the idea might not be unique, it is to me. I haven’t read another book that didn’t deal with necromancy where the protagonist could locate dead bodies. It hooked me, and kept me interested throughout the whole novel. There were enough twists and turns to keep me guessing and second guessing, and the author even gave clues that made me suspect characters that didn’t deserve my suspicion. It was so great.

The characters made me care about them. Violet is at once vulnerable and strong-willed, and I enjoyed seeing her develop and make mistakes. Her friendship with Jay sustains a decent chemistry, though I actually felt that it was lukewarm compared to some other YA novel romances I’ve read. Jay is a great character, though, and his relationship to Violet did deepen the story for me.

If you haven’t picked this one up, you absolutely should. Watch for my interview with Kimberly Derting on the blog tomorrow. Our giveaway will be announced tomorrow, as well.

Until next time, go read something!

~ Vilate

No comments:

Post a Comment