Monday, July 26, 2010

Flight Explorer, Volume I


Author/Editor: Kazu Kibuishi
Publisher: Villard (March 25, 2008)
Pages: 112
Reading Level: Grades 4 to 8
Source: Library
Rating: 4 Stars (Enjoy and recommend)

This summer I have been exploring the world of graphic novels and manga. Though I may have determined that manga isn't my thing (no offense to the 1000's who love it), I have come to really love graphic novels. I have been particularly on the hunt for good graphic novels to share with middle grade students. Flight Explorer, Vol. 1 by Kazu Kibuishi (editor/contributor) is definitely one of my favorite finds.

Kazu Kibuishi has followed up his popular adult graphic novel series, Flight, with this Middle Grades version. This collection of 10 stories are engaging, humorous, and beautifully illustrated. Though the stories do not appear to have the same connection to the theme of flight as in the version for older readers, the pieces each seem to have an element of adventure.

Two of my favorites included one about a young girl and a friendly monster who go out to explore a snowstorm together, and one about a boy (Cooper) and a dog who leap from giant mushroom top to mushroom top only to learn that they aren't mushrooms but something fully alive.

Kibuishi has created another graphic novel about Cooper and his smart dog which came out earlier this year and I am looking forward to getting my hands on a copy. I have also been working my way through Kibuishi's Middle Grade graphic novel series The Amulet as well which I would also recommend.

If you are looking for a series of graphic novels to engage and entertain reluctant upper elementary grade students, I would highly encourage you to check out Flight Explorer or any of Kibuishi's other offerings.

Grab a book, read, tell me about it...
-Aly

No comments:

Post a Comment