Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Review of Infinitus2010 and a Raffle!

I got back Monday evening from a fabulous vacation in Orlando, Florida! Last weekend was the much-anticipated Infinitus 2010 (by HPEF), and I had a great time.

The convention was held in Orlando this year to celebrate the opening of the new Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Yes, I got to go and it was fabulous! But I don't want to get ahead of myself here... I won't go day-by-day and give you a rundown of what transpired, but I do want to mention that my roundtable discussion on Thursday night was amazing and there were a lot more people attending than I thought there'd be (I was up against a few hours of Wrock, yikes!).

So as not to bore anyone, I'll just say that overall, I enjoyed the con, but it did have it's bad points. I felt (and I'm not the only one) that the con was overpacked with formal and informal programming. There were a lot of things I couldn't get to because it was up against something else I wanted to see. Not just in terms of presentations, but also some of the Wrock concerts and other informal programming. It was especially difficult when the overcrowded schedule also ended up with late starts. It felt more disorganized than the last two cons I've been to.

That being said, I loved the formal programming I got to. I saw some amazing papers presented by extremely talented speakers. I enjoyed the Wrock I got to see, and the ball at the end was very fun. Not only that, but I loved being in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter after the public (also known as Muggles) left. (I do have to mention, though, that I am extremely disappointed in the park people for keeping us waiting for 45 minutes in the sauna-like humidity before letting us in.)

Of course I met wonderful people and I loved being surrounded by (2400) Harry Potter fans. It's definitely not an experience I would've missed, despite a few setbacks. And the hotel was soooo cushy!

Now, at the end of the con (the Leaving Feast), I happened to end up with a broom at the auction. It was kind of unplanned, but I think I've made the best of it by having the cast of A Very Potter Musical sign the handle. It's a piece of fandom that is one of a kind, and I'm giving everyone the opportunity to win it!

Due to space (and time) constraints, I'm going to direct everyone over to the website where you can get all of the details. RAFFLE DETAILS HERE! Half of every dollar YALR receives in the raffle will be going to the Kids Need to Read foundation, so get your entries in and help support YALR and charity! Good luck to everyone!!

~ Vilate

No comments:

Post a Comment